Working as a guide requires a comprehensive knowledge of the historical site. To prepare for this demanding task, the Memorial regularly carries out certification courses and further training.
In order to guide visitors around the Memorial site, guides have to obtain a licence as part of these courses. If you are interested in working as a guide, please register early for one of the courses.
The licenses must be renewed at regular intervals by attending further training courses.
Regulations for licensed guides:
- Group tours in the exhibitions are again permitted. As in the past, we ask that you be considerate of other groups.
- Registration is mandatory for all guided tours until the Time slots are introduced!
- Please inform us by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org when you will visit the memorial with individual visitors or groups. Registration deadline: 1 day before the tour at the latest.
- The maximum group size is 30 people.
- When you arrive at the memorial, we ask that only the guide enters the Visitor Information Center to register the group.
From June 1, 2023, the time slots that have been suspended for the past three years will be reintroduced. The following regulations apply:
for pre-booked groups (bus tours, private tours)
- daily from 1:30 p.m
School and youth groups
- Tuesday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m
- Saturdays and Sundays from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m
- daily from 1:30 p.m
Excluded from this rule are:
- Groups up to 7 people
- Groups that start at collection points in Berlin
Further information for licensed guides at the Memorial:
- At the beginning of each visit, guides must register their groups at the Visitor Information Centre stating the total number of visitors. A valid licence is required.
- Licensed guides must wear their licence ID card in a visible place at all times on the Memorial grounds.
- Visiting the Memorial is not recommended for children under 14 years of age. Guides are advised to pass on this recommendation to their visitors before booking.
- Tourist companies and associations contribute to the care and maintenance of the Memorial's infrastructure by paying an obligatory remuneration of 3,- Euro per participating person (this includes children under the age of 12 years). This remuneration is not an admission fee, the entrance to the Memorial is free. The remuneration is paid on a quarterly basis by the company per invoice. If you only have few tours per year, you can contact the Memorial for a cash payment arrangement.
Certificate Course I (Basic Course)
Upon successful completion of the Certificate Course I, guides acquire a license limited to four years within the framework of the applicable regulations. The course is offered once in German and once in English each year.
Please contact us at email@example.com to register for the next certification course.
The license itself is free of charge. Licensed guides will receive a licence ID card. A one-time nominal fee (20,- Euro) will be charged for the issuance of the card. No ID cards will be issued without prior participation in a course (the day licence is no longer valid).
Certification Course I Plus (Advanced Course)
After successful participation in a certification course, guides can continuously extend their license for another four years by attending advanced training courses. Further education courses are regularly offered on various topics or current exhibitions. The license expires automatically if no training course has been attended within four years.
If you are interested in continuing your work as a guide on the site, please register early for one of the advanced training courses. Certified guides are also welcome to attend the advanced training courses at any time before the license expires, provided there are still places available.