Working as a guide requires a comprehensive knowledge of the historical site. To prepare for this demanding task, the Memorial regularly carries out certification courses and further training.
In order to guide visitors around the Memorial site, guides have to obtain a licence as part of these courses. If you are interested in working as a guide, please register early for one of the courses.
The licenses must be renewed at regular intervals by attending further training courses.
Regulations for licensed guides:
- Guided tours on the outdoor grounds of the memorial are again permitted.
- Registration is mandatory for all guided tours!
Please inform us by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org when you will visit the memorial with individual visitors or groups. Registration deadline: 1 day before the tour at the latest.
- You and your participants do not need to wear mouth/nose protection on the outdoor grounds. The rules of distance still apply. There must be a distance of 1.5m between the participants as well as between them and the guide!
- The maximum group size is 20 people including the guide. From 20.03.2022 a maximum group size of 30 persons is allowed again.
- Please keep a distance of at least 10m to other groups.
- When you arrive at the memorial, we ask that only the guide enters the Visitor Information Center to register the group.
- The time slots in effect since 01.01.2020 are temporarily suspended.
Further information for licensed guides at the Memorial:
- At the beginning of each visit, guides must register their groups at the Visitor Information Centre stating the total number of visitors. A valid licence is required.
- Licensed guides must wear their licence ID card in a visible place at all times on the Memorial grounds.
- Visiting the Memorial is not recommended for children under 14 years of age. Guides are advised to pass on this recommendation to their visitors before booking.
- Tourist companies and associations contribute to the care and maintenance of the Memorial's infrastructure by paying an obligatory remuneration of 2,- Euro per participating person (this includes children under the age of 12 years). This remuneration is not an admission fee, the entrance to the Memorial is free. The remuneration is paid on a quarterly basis by the company per invoice. If you only have few tours per year, you can contact the Memorial for a cash payment arrangement.
Certificate Course I (Basic Course)
Upon successful completion of the Certificate Course I, guides acquire a license limited to four years within the framework of the applicable regulations. The course is offered in German several times a year. Where possible, a course is held once a year in English. The dates for the courses will be announced on this page and via our newsletter.
The license itself is free of charge. Licensed guides will receive a licence ID card. A one-time nominal fee (20,- Euro) will be charged for the issuance of the card. No ID cards will be issued without prior participation in a course (the day licence is no longer valid).
Certification Course I Plus (Advanced Course)
After successful participation in a certification course, guides can continuously extend their license for another four years by attending advanced training courses. Further education courses are regularly offered on various topics or current exhibitions. The license expires automatically if no training course has been attended within four years.
If you are interested in continuing your work as a guide on the site, please register early for one of the advanced training courses. Certified guides are also welcome to attend the advanced training courses at any time before the license expires, provided there are still places available.